- Bookstore chains lost 3.6% market share down from 30.6% in 2Q 2010 to 27.3% 2Q 2011. (Borders’s closing drove the decline in market share.
- E-tailers grabbed 37.0% of all spending in the quarter, up from 35.3% in the first period and almost 10 percentage points higher than the 27.6% share e-tailers had in the second quarter of 2010.
- Independent bookstores picked up half a percentage point between the second quarter of 2010 and 2011, although compared to the first quarter of 2011 their share fell from 6.2% to 5.0%.
- e-books’ share of units rose from 3.2% to 13.7%.
- Hardcover’s share of market share falling from 33.3% in last year’s second quarter to 28.6%, but holding even with this year’s first quarter.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
E-Commerce and e-Books Continue Market Share Growth
The following data was reported in Publisher's Weekly using Bowker’s PubTrack Consumer service.