Cheating on an online exam is actually pretty infrequent, according to a report from Examity. The online proctoring company reviewed more than 62,000 online final exams it proctored last fall and found that just 6% violated exam rules.
However, those students who did cheat were caught in some very interesting ways. The five boldest cheats included:
- The mom of a test-taker hiding under the desk to provide the answers.
- Someone outside of the exam room coughing the answers in Morse code.
- A mom take an exam who hid a cheat sheet inside her baby’s bassinet.
- Faking a coughing fit to get a cheat sheet out of the back of a test-taker’s throat.
- Hiring a professional to take the exam.
Examity reported that 21% of the students it caught were using a cheat sheet and 14% used Google to search for answers. The company also reported that 5% simply hid flashcards under their keyboards and 3% hung the answers on a nearby wall.