- Most publishers support authors right to digital download royalties, but most have no mechanism to manage the payment of those royalties.
- Nearly 4/5ths of publishers believed they should be allowed to sell directly to consumers, and 56% said they already are!
- 89% said they believe there is still very much a place for bookstores.
- 83% believe consumers will fully accept e-book readers.
- Academic titles were considered to be among the most likely areas where e-books will be used
This survey has shown that publishers are very much moving towards the modern
digital world. [...] However, there are still plenty that do not have any
systems in place at all for online sales and these publishers need to rapidly
re-think their strategy if they are to succeed in the modern high-tech future of
the publishing industry.
The same could be said for many booksellers. An interesting article though with some equally interesting findings. I think it would be interesting to see the full set of data they collected .... something worth tracking down.