Welcome to The CITE -- a blog on Course materials, Innovation, and Technology in Education, created by Mark Nelson and now part of the Publications Department of the National Association of College Stores. CITE is a pun with multiple meanings - referring to cite as in citation, something people reference; site as in location, website, or place people go to; and sight as in foresight or looking ahead to what is coming. Comments, discussion, feedback and ideas are welcome.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Something fun to tide you over...

I am about to leave for CAMEX and from there to OCDE, so I will be away for a week. I know I promised an update yesterday on some new developments, but I am afraid that will have to wait until after the NACS board meets later this week. In the interim, I thought you might find the following site interesting -- it shows a number of new technologies in prototype stage, some of which are very cool.


I, personally, would love one of the Nokia phones pictured near the top of the list. As for the lamp inside the book? Well, I am not sure what the market demand will be for that one.

Have a good week. I will work on posting from the road, although usually the format ends up pretty off when I do that. We'll see.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Cool. I am glad that you are showing all of these neat devices. I have always believed that the digital textbook age will begin in earnest when we find a killer hardware device. I think it will be a flexible screen, like the Chinese Scroll device or a screen that will fold in half or even quarters. It will have 3G (or better) wireless access to the internet built in. It will employ one of those new batteries with a weeks worth (40 hours or so) of charge that is being developed in Palo Alto by Yui Cui from Stanford. It will have a very large solid state harddrive like the new version of Mac Air. Future versions will have holographic screen projectors and maybe blue tooth monitors built into eyeglasses frames with the mouse action tied into the pupil movement. Isn't it exciting?