Welcome


This blog is dedicated to the topics of Course materials, Innovation, and Technology in Education. it is intended as an information source for the college store industry, or anyone interested in how course materials are changing. Suggestions for discussion topics or news stories are welcome.

The site uses Google's cookies to provide services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user agent are shared with Google, along with performance and security statistics to ensure service quality, generate usage statistics, detect abuse and take action.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Welcome to 2008!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for a silent December. Things continue to be very busy in the digital space. I was glad to see the last article on Blackboard engendered the start of discussion. It looks like someone is really out there and sometimes reading what's on this blog!

Well, as I mentioned, there are many interesting developments over the past month. The Kindle, of course was big news. According to one news report, the initial supply sold out in 5 days, leaving Amazon with a 7 day back-order period while they rushed to get more devices. It will be interesting to see what happens with the device this year -- and its impact on e-book sales.

I will be traveling for the next 4-5 days, but I have several posts saved up for this forum. If you subscribe to the blog, you should receive an e-mail when new posts are entered. One of the topics to report on are the new report from the UK-Ireland Booksellers Association. This is a must-read report for anyone interested in how traditional stores will prepare for a future with more digital product. Another upcoming post will relate to the new project between NACS and Caravan. Of course, developments with CourseSmart in the last two months will also be of interest. We have several use cases that stores contributed, which I will post here for feedback (and additional submissions). Finally, NACS Taskforce on digital content is making progress. That work is due to our Board at the end of February -- but I will provide a brief glimpse into the taskforce work and direction here soon.

All this and more is coming soon. I will endeavor to become more regular in my blogging activity in the New Year. I will not claim that to be my New Year's resolution -- as I would not want to jinx the efforts too early. I would love some assistance though -- if someone would like to work with me on this blog, or has a story or thought to contribute, please drop me a note or post to this message.

Best wishes to all for a very happy 2008!
-M